Chevrolet F14D3 1.4L Engine: Specs, Problems, Reliability, & More. The 1.4-liter engine F14D3 is upgraded version of the Opel’s X14XE engine. Many details of these motors are interchangeable. Horsepower numbers are not bad for this small motor, but torque is insufficient of course. The F14D3 has the older brother – the F16D3 (1.6-liter, and 106 hp).
The engine has EGR system (exhaust gas recirculation), which can reduce the number of harmful substances in exhaust gases. The engine has hydraulic tappets (no need for valve clearance adjustments ). The F14D3 engine has the timing belt. Pistons would bend valves if the timing belt broke. Be careful and replace it every 40,000 miles (60,000 km).
F14D3 Engine Problems and Reliability
- Sometimes the engine has loose closing valves as a result of coke between a valve stem and a valve sleeve. Here are some symptoms of that issue: the engine loses power and car doesn’t accelerate fast as before; engine stalls periodically; engine shakes a little bit. This trouble is touched engines just until 2008 production year. Form 2008 there are new valves and some new features – this version is the F14D4 engine.
- The thermostat longevity is 35-40 thousand miles. The engine does not warm up or does it very slowly.
- Leaking valve cover is fraught with penetrating oil in the spark plug wells, as the result, problems with the ignition.
- Manufacturer: GM DAT
- Production years: 2004-present day
- Cylinder block material: Cast Iron
- Cylinder head material: Aluminum
- Fuel type: Gasoline
- Fuel system: Electronic Injection
- Configuration: inline
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Valves per cylinder: 4
- Valvetrain layout: DOHC
- Bore, mm: 77.9
- Stroke, mm: 73.4
- Displacement, cc: 1399
- Type of internal combustion engine: Four-stroke, naturally aspirated
- Compression Ratio: 9.5
- Power, hp: 94/6200
- Torque, lb ft: 103/3400
- Engine weight: –
- Firing order: 1-3-4-2
- Engine oil weight: 5W-30, 10W-30
- Engine oil capacity, liter: 3.75
- Oil change interval, mile: 10,000
- Applications: Chevrolet Aveo, Chevrolet Lacetti