BMW M40B18 Engine: Specs, Problems, Reliability, & More. The M40-series started in 1987 with the manufacturing of 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine M40B18. M40 engines involved replace the old M10-series, which was very successful and also usual for BMW versions in those days. A year later on, the maker launched the smaller sized variation – 1.6-liter M40B16 engine.
The engine is rather typical and simple. The cylinder block is made from cast iron. There is SOHC 8-valve light weight aluminum cyndrical tube head with hydraulic lifters inside. M40B18 camshaft specs: period 244/244 deg (single pattern camera), shutoff lift is 10.6/ 10.6 mm. M40 engines have a timing belt instead of a chain as in M10 engines. The engine has the light weight aluminum intake manifold and also electronic fuel shot and also ignition systems. The fuel injection system is Bosch Motronic 1.3 for the E30 variations and also Bosch Motronic 1.7 for the E36 version.
The M40B18 application is 18i models. The production of this engine was dropped in 1994 since BMW currently was generating a new engine for 2 years – M43B18.
BMW M40B18 Engine Review
The M40-series started in 1987 with the production of 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine M40B18. M40 engines pertained to change the old M10-series, which was very successful and also usual for BMW models in those days. A year later on, the manufacturer released the smaller sized version – 1.6-liter M40B16 engine.
The engine is rather typical and also simple. The cylinder block is made from cast iron. There is SOHC 8-valve aluminum cyndrical tube head with hydraulic lifters inside. M40B18 camshaft specs: duration 244/244 deg (solitary pattern camera), valve lift is 10.6/ 10.6 mm. M40 engines have a timing belt rather than a chain as in M10 engines. The engine has the aluminum intake manifold and also electronic fuel injection and ignition systems. The fuel injection system is Bosch Motronic 1.3 for the E30 variations as well as Bosch Motronic 1.7 for the E36 version.
The M40B18 application is 18i designs. The manufacturing of this engine was stopped in 1994 since BMW currently was producing a brand-new engine for two years – M43B18.
M40B18 Engine Problems and Reliability
- The major issue is with a timing belt. It wears extremely quick and also becomes a reason for curved valves. Try to watch on the condition of a timing belt.
- Camshaft or busted hydraulic lifters create some knocking as well as ticking sounds. It is critical to replace camshaft with any type of problems to stay clear of an expensive repair in the future. The engine will not rev high with a worn camshaft.
- In such old engines like the M40B18, there are also old electronic elements. Check an air circulation sensing unit and an oxygen sensor if idle is unpredictable or you have some acceleration problems.
- The usual issue is dirty injectors which cause high fuel usage and also loss of power.
- Like all BMW engines, the M40 also is sensitive to overheating. Don’t forget to cleanse a radiator occasionally and also alter the coolant in the system at the correct time presented in upkeep schedule for your lorry.
The engine life of the M40B18 is about 180,000 miles. By itself the engine is reputable, but in present time it is tough to locate an auto keeping that engine and also low gas mileage.
- Manufacturer: Steyr Plant
- Production years: 1987-1994
- Cylinder block material: Cast Iron
- Cylinder head material: Aluminum
- Fuel type: Gasoline
- Fuel system: Fuel injection
- Configuration: Inline
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Valves per cylinder: 2
- Valvetrain layout: SOHC
- Bore, mm: 84.0
- Stroke, mm: 81.0
- Displacement, cc: 1796
- Type of internal combustion engine: Four-stroke, naturally aspirated
- Compression Ratio: 9:1
- Power, hp: 113 hp /5,500
- Torque, lb ft: 120 (160 Nm)/4,250
- Engine weight: –
- Firing order: 1-3-4-2
- Engine oil weight: 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-40, 15W-50
- Engine oil capacity, liter: 4.0
- Oil change interval, mile: 6,000 (10,000 km) or 12 month
- Applications: BMW 318i E30, BMW 318i E36, BMW 518i E34