Chevrolet F16D3 1.6L Engine: Specs, Problems, Reliability, & More. The Chevrolet’s 1.6-liter engine, called as the F16D3, is based upon the 1.4-liter F14D3 engine, which itself is a copy of the Opel X14XE engine. You can find this engine under a hood of numerous USDM Chevrolet models and European low budget cars including Daewoo Nexia or Lanos.
The engine has the same cylinder block design as the 1.4-liter F14D3, but with the bigger bore. The F16D3 has forged steel crankshaft. In addition to the engine block, there is aluminum cylinder head with two camshafts (DOHC). The cylinder head has 16 valves (four valves per cylinder). The engine got hydraulic tappets and timing belt which is not reputable as a chain. The F16D3 also had with EGR system.
The engine was boosted in 2008 and got the new name – the F16D4. For those who want a more powerful engine, consider the1.8-liter F18D3 engine which has the power of 121 hp.
Chevrolet 1.6 l F16D3 Engine Problems and Reliability
Main disadvantages coincide as the engine F14D3 has. We have EGR which is bad as maybe, trouble with valves closing gap, overheating, leaking oil from the valve cover. Many owners prefer to forget about EGR and plug out the EGR valve. This operation helps to avoid any future issues.
- Manufacturer: GM DAT
- Production years: 2004-present day
- Cylinder block material: Cast Iron
- Cylinder head material: Aluminum
- Fuel type: Gasoline
- Fuel system: Direct injection
- Configuration: Inline
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Valves per cylinder: 4
- Valvetrain layout: DOHC
- Bore, mm: 79.0
- Stroke, mm: 81.5
- Displacement, cc: 1598
- Type of internal combustion engine: Four-stroke, naturally aspirated
- Compression Ratio: 9.5
- Power, hp: 109/5800
- Torque, lb ft: 110/3400
- Engine weight: –
- Firing order: 1-3-4-2
- Engine oil weight: 5W-30, 10W-30
- Engine oil capacity, liter: 3.75
- Oil change interval, mile: 10,000
- Applications: Chevrolet Aveo, Chevrolet Lacetti, Chevrolet Cruze, Daewoo Lanos, Chevrolet Lanos, Daewoo Nexia, Daewoo Lacetti