VW/Audi 2.5 R5 TDI Engine Specs, Problems, Reliability. This engine is the 2.5-liter 5-cylinder inline turbo diesel engine with pump injection system. Its life began in 1989. The engine was developed and developed by Audi, and it was the very first Turbocharged Direct Injection engine in the production. The main development objective was to use the engine in different designs.
The cylinder block is made from gray cast iron. It has six main bearings and created steel crankshaft. Aluminum pistons have bowl-shaped geometry. On top of a block, there is the aluminum 10-valve cylinder head (2 valves per cylinder). There is only one camshaft (SOHC), which is driven by timing belt. The valvetrain is equipped with hydraulic tappets/lifters for automatic valve clearance compensation.
The fuel shipment system includes the belt-driven Bosch VP37 electronic distributor injection pump and two-stage direct injection (DI) with five-hole injector nozzles. The engine is turbocharged. There is Garrett variable geometry turbocharger (VTG), cast aluminum consumption manifold, and no intercooler.
The engine was very successful. It was rather easy yet, didn’t have advanced systems and electronics. It was simple to tune and maintain. The longevity is incredible with appropriate operation. The fuel intake is pretty low for this size of displacement.
VW/Audi 2.5 R5 TDI Engine Problems and Reliability
The VW/Audi 2.5 R5 TDI engines are not as resilient as the previous version. It is a quite excellent engine and extremely reliable if you do the upkeep well (400-500k hassle-free miles). Some peoples had cylinder head and camshaft problems, however more frequently because of using the wrong oil. Some engines had the rubber seals use slots in the fuel chamber around the injector and leak diesel fuel into the oil and drop pressure.
VW/Audi 2.5 R5 TDI Engine Specs
|Cylinder block material||Cast Iron|
|Cylinder head material||Aluminum|
|Fuel system||Bosch VP37 pump, two-stage direct injection|
|Number of cylinders||5|
|Valves per cylinder||2|
|Bore, mm||81.0 (3.19 in)|
|Stroke, mm||95.5 (3.76 in)|
|Displacement, cc||2,461 cc (150.2 cu in)|
|Type of internal combustion engine||Four-stroke, turbocharged|
|Power, hp||88-165 hp /3,500-4,000|
|Torque, lb ft||144-229 lb-ft /1,900-2,500|
|Engine oil weight||VW 505.00, VW 506.00, 10W40, 5W40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.5 (6.0 – with oil filter)|
|Oil change interval, mile||6,000 (10,000 km) or 12 month|
|Applications||Volkswagen Transporter (T4), Volkswagen LT, Audi C3 100, Audi C4 100, Audi C4 A6, Volvo 850, Volvo S70, Volvo V70, Volvo S80|
VW/Audi 2.5 R5 TDI Engine Modifications
- 88 hp (65 kW); 144 lb ft (195 Nm)/ 1,900 rpm – that is Volkswagen Transporter T4 engine.
- 102 hp (75 kW); 184 lb ft (250 Nm)/ 1,900 rpm – more effective engine version for Volkswagen Transporter T4.
- 109 hp (80 kW); 195 lb ft (265 Nm)/ 1,900 rpm – Volkswagen LT engine.
- 116 hp (85 kW); 195 lb ft (265 Nm)/ 1,900 rpm – application: Audi C3 100, Audi C4 100.
- 140 hp (103 kW); 214 lb ft (290 Nm)/ 1,900 rpm – extensively used engine. Application: Audi C4 100, Audi C4
- A6, likewise known as Volvo D5252T engine: Volvo 850, Volvo S70, Volvo V70, early Volvo S80s.
- AHY, AXG – 151 hp (111 kW); 218 lb ft (295 Nm)/ 1,900 rpm. That is the leading Volkswagen Transporter (T4) engine.