VW/Audi 2.0 TDI PD EA188 Engine Specs, Problems, Reliability. The 2.0 TDI engine comes from the EA188 family. This engine is the redeveloped 1.9-liter TDI engine. The 2.0-liter TDI was the very first Volkswagen diesel engine with four valves per cylinder used in 2004 Golf, Passat, and another automobile.
The cylinder block is made from gray cast iron. The increased displacement of the engine was attained by resizing the bore up to 81.0 mm. The engine has balance shafts, forged steel crankshaft and fracture-split created steel linking rods also. The 2.0 TDI engine got totally new aluminum 16-valve cylinder head with double overhead camshafts (DOHC) driven by timing belt. The impressive feature is what the timing belt drives exhaust and consumption camshafts together.
The engine is equipped with Pumpe Duse (PD) direct injection (DI) fuel system (not Common Rail) and turbocharger made by Garrett.
2.0 TDI PD Volkswagen Engine Problems and Reliability
- The oil pump drive shaft had some flaw. The oil pump stop working and the first what will break is turbocharger.
- High oil level. The particle filter is an issue. When the particulate filter ends up being stopped up with soot, the fuel in the engine does not burn completely and drains into the oil pan. That increases an oil level.
VW/Audi 2.0 TDI PD EA188 Engine Modifications
- AZV, BMA – 136 hp (100kW) engine.
- BKD, BKP, BRE – 140 hp (103kW) most popular engine.
- BMN, BMR, BRD – the most effective 170 hp (125kW) and 258 lb-ft of torque engine with diesel particle filter.
VW/Audi 2.0 TDI PD EA188 Engine Specs
|Manufacturer||VW Motor Polska Sp. z o.o., Audi Hungaria Motor Kft.|
|Production years||2004- present day|
|Cylinder block material||Cast Iron|
|Cylinder head material||Aluminum|
|Fuel system||Pumpe Düse|
|Number of cylinders||4|
|Valves per cylinder||4|
|Type of internal combustion engine||Four-stroke, turbocharged|
|Torque, lb ft||236-258/1750-2500|
|Engine oil weight||VW 505.00, VW 507.00 – 5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||3.8|
|Oil change interval, mile||10,000|
|Applications||Audi 8P A3, Audi B7 A4, Audi B8 A4, Audi C6 A6, Jeep Patriot 2.0CRD (2007), SEAT León Mk2, Škoda Octavia (2008), Škoda Superb (2009), Volkswagen Golf Mk5, VW Jetta Mk5, Volkswagen Touran, VW Passat B6|